Sunday, October 6, 2013

Custom Tank Bib

Well my next project was to make the custom matching tank bib.  1st made the template.



The tab on the bottom would be for the bottom tie that would go underneath the seat and tie off on the bars under there.  There was the same tab at the top, to slide the leather tie through there to tie off at the neck.  The template looks slightly large because it has the seam allowances.

Once i decided on the design, the rest was real easy on this bib. Simple gluing, sewing.  I say simple because I have already worked with this material often, so I know it's behaviors, and I'm pretty used to keeping the seams straight going down the sides.  You need to glue the seams over first on leather and then you stitch them.  The only tricky part was making sure the gas cap opening was going to match up correctly.  My sewing angel was with me (as always) and that came out pretty good.


I installed magnets (disc magnets) on the top to round the bend and on the bottom, and covered the magnets in velvet to not scratch the tank.  This helps the bib hug the tank's roundness up top.  Used leather ties through the tab loops I made at the top and bottom and tied her on.  I like the look.  I had entertained the thought of studs, but 1. they were going to take too long to get here, and 2. i didn't install them on the seat, so....  I have the studs now, so I can always add them, but not sure I want them at this point.

Oh yeah and I also removed the reflectors!  it was hilarious actually, I had posted a finished photo on my Fury Forum, for "what did you do to your fury today" and got a comment "Now you really need to lose those reflectors"  i laughed at myself, felt like a real rookie. :-)... Next morning, reflectors were off.  Took about 45 minutes with hair dryer, care and goo gone. :-)  here is the before and after.  LOL




Contemplating the rear fender bib, but not sure where to go on that.  I am dying to get my sissy bar, I want a tall one, I think it keeps the chopper look, but $$$$$$$$$... we'll see how it goes, but that is scheduled to be my first "Mod" mod.  I consider this really dressing.

Cheers!

JDol







2 comments:

  1. Bro Have you considered making some leather ones with conchos for any Fury owners looking for them?
    I'd buy one from you!

    ReplyDelete